Saturday, April 21, 2012

Nursery Art Project

So today I managed to get together the stuff to do the final art project for the new baby's nursery.  I was going to wait until this week to work on it but then when Elijah went down for nap I had some free time so I started working on it and managed to get it all finished.  Since I already had paint leftover from when we did the wall stenciling, I just had to buy three blank canvases and some paintbrushes.

The first thing I did was sketch the pictures on the canvases in pencil.  The nice thing about this is even if it looks crappy and I can't erase it completely, it's not a big deal because I'm going to paint over everything.  Here are two of the sketches I did.  I forgot to take a picture of the stoplight in sketch mode.

They're kind of hard to see since it's just pencil.  I blocked the flash a bit in the second one to make it a bit easier to see but then it came out looking orange.

Lest you think I am some kind of real artist, I found pictures online that I modeled the car and truck after and the stoplight was merely a matter of a ruler and the inside of a roll of painter's tape to make the lights.  After I got the sketches how I wanted, the painting began.

That took the most time but since these are going up in a nursery, they didn't need to look super precise and fancy, which is good because I am not an artist/painter.  95% of the artwork in my house was done by my dad (who actually IS a good painter) and the few pieces that aren't came from like Kohls.  Anyway, it turned out pretty good, I think  Here are close ups of the completed pieces on the wall.

I added the "Beep! Beep!" and "Honk! Honk!" last with a sharpie.  Now that wall doesn't look so bare.

No comments:

Post a Comment