Friday, April 6, 2012


So Elijah has had this cough for awhile now and the past couple days he's felt kind of warm when he got up from nap or in the morning.  So I took him to the doctor on Thursday instead of storytime like I wanted to.  They checked him out and said it was just another virus. Yahoo.  I hate driving all the way out there and paying the $20 copay for a virus since there's NADA they can do for it.

Then that evening towards the end of our Gospel Community meeting I started having some mild abdominal cramping.  When everyone left I tried to lie down on the couch for awhile and relax so it would go away.  Eventually I headed up to bed but was still cramping.  Around 10:30 we decided to call the on call doctor from my OB group.  She advised us to go to the hospital and get checked out just in case.  So we called Mike's mom to come over and stay with Elijah (Mike's sister came over and relieved her a bit later) and headed out.  By the time she got there I was starting to have some major pain.  I was leaning over praying that God would either make the cramping stop or if I had to have this baby tonight, that he would care for him and help him to be healthy and survive.  Fortunately, I am 30 weeks so at least even if I had a premature birth, it was likely that the baby would be okay.

By the time we got to the hospital, the cramping had lessened and I felt almost stupid going in there to get monitored but we were already there and I was afraid if we just went home that it might start up again and then we'd have to drive all the way out there again.  (The hospital is about 20 minutes from the house.)  So we got all hooked up to the belly monitors and I fell asleep in the hospital bed for about an hour while Mike tried to snooze on the tiny couch they have in those rooms.  It turned out everything was fine.  The nurse said I was probably a bit dehydrated since I know I haven't been drinking enough water.  It's odd because when I'm not pregnant I drink tons of water, but when I am since I'm nauseous all the time, water upsets my stomach so I can't make myself drink as much of it.

Anyway, we got back home around 2:30 in the morning and told Stephanie she could head on home.  (Fortunately she works nights as a nurse so sleeping during the day, rather than at night is not new to her.)  We both went to bed around 3:00 a.m. but were awoken at 6:45 by Elijah having a coughing fit.  Mike went in to comfort him and it took a little while but he did go back to sleep finally and we all slept until about 8 or 8:30 this morning.  I was still exhausted but Mike had to go to work so we all got up.  And now Elijah woke up with no fever at all.  So maybe he's all better.  So we both made everyone freak out for no reason. Oops.

I've been trying to take it easy today and force myself to drink more water, but since Elijah no longer feels sick, and since he decided not to take a nap today, I haven't gotten much rest.  But this afternoon, we went over to Mike's parents' house and dyed eggs for Easter.  Here are some pictures to prove it:

No comments:

Post a Comment