Monday, March 12, 2012

4 Days without Daddy

So last week Mike had to go to Iowa for work.  He said he was going to be gone Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday evening and be back Thursday night.  Alas, he did get back Thursday but not until 9 p.m. and when you have a toddler, 9 p.m. is very close to bedtime even for the grown ups (or perhaps I'm just old), which meant that I was in charge of chasing Elijah around, feeding him, putting him down for nap and bed, getting baths, picking him up off of the furniture he climbs on, etc. for four whole days all by myself.  And while most normal women get to be done with nausea by the time they are 26 weeks pregnant, I am not so blessed.  So in addition to feeling nauseated all the time, as well as tired from carrying the extra 30 or so pounds I'm toting around my waist, I get no breaks except when the little man is asleep, and no help when Daddy comes home because Daddy is out of town.  I have no idea how one does anything if she is a single parent.

Anyhow, to make the week go faster, I tried to think of things to break up the monotony of playing with blocks, doing puzzles and reading "Green Eggs and Ham" sixteen times per day.  On Monday I had an appointment with my OB and Elijah got to go over to my Aunt Jennifer's house for an hour or so.  (She runs a daycare out of her home.)  I was a little worried he wouldn't do too well since it was a new place but he apparently did fine and all the other kids loved having him there--he was like the new toy.  (I didn't take any pictures because I didn't know how the other parents would feel about random pictures of their kids being on my blog.)  Of course, what made it the most fun is that I had to do that stupid glucola test for gestational diabetes.  If you've never done it before you have to drink this stuff that tastes basically like flat sprite, only WAY too sweet and syrupy and you have to drink the whole thing in like 5 minutes.  Then an hour later they draw your blood.  I'm not a fan of getting my blood drawn, but drinking the glucola was definitely the worst part.  Since I'm still nauseous, I was a little worried I would throw it back up because it was so gross, but fortunately it stayed down and my levels came back normal, so no gestational diabetes.  Yay!

That afternoon we went outside to play.  Now this is really more trouble than it initially sounds.  For one thing, we have a big dog who, obviously, does his business in our back yard and since Mike hasn't cleaned up the yard for awhile, there are tons of land mines to avoid (which is hard to do with a toddler who likes to take off wherever he wants to go).  Also, one thing that Elijah loves to do is pick up rocks and hand them to me.  Well, sometimes the dog's older business resembles a rock and... you get the idea.  We always wash hands thoroughly after playing outside.  And of course, our yard isn't completely flat and even.  There are several places where it slants up or down steeply but Elijah has no regard for these silly concerns and just takes off.  And how dare Mommy attempt to hold his hands while he runs around the yard.  The nerve!  So we inevitably do some face plants, but fortunately, no serious injuries.  Here are some pictures from our yard adventures.

Tuesday was pretty uneventful.  Just home doing our regular thing except it was a really nice day outside (like in the 70s) so when he got up from nap I put him in the stroller and we walked up to sonic and got a root beer float.  Normally he has a healthy yogurt snack after his nap to tide him over until dinner, but I decided instead to let him have some of my ice cream that day.  I drank the root beer and ate most of the ice cream but he had some.  Here he is enjoying it.

Wednesday morning we went to the library to check out a storytime for ages 12-24 months.  I have been trying to find a weekly storytime to take him to at one of the local libraries.  There is a library within walking distance of my house but their storytime is for like three year olds, so I found some others online.  I wasn't really impressed with the one on Wednesday.  For one thing, it seemed like they expected the kids to sit still the whole time which seems really unrealistic to me when the kids are 2 years old or younger.  They read a couple books and sang some songs but there wasn't much interaction among the kids and I was hoping they'd do a craft or at least a coloring page, but they didn't.  Pretty much everything that happened I could do with him at home--and better, I didn't find the woman reading the books very engaging.  She had kind of a monotonous voice and since she read "Cat in the Hat" (which I have practically memorized from reading it so many times) I knew she was messing up a lot of the lines in it.  And then it only lasted 30 minutes.  It's way too much trouble for me to get him in his carseat and drive all the way there and get him out, etc. for only 30 minutes of stuff that I could do at home.

There was another storytime we planned to attend on Thursday but it didn't happen.  I'll get to that, though.  First I need to share a theory I have that toddlers are actually made out of rubber.  After last Thursday I'm really starting to believe that.  Thursday morning I was sleeping and sort of waking up.  I could hear Elijah moving around in his crib on the monitor but he wasn't crying or making any babbling sounds so I hoped he was just turning over to go back to sleep when suddenly I heard a very loud thump.  I jumped up and ran in his room and lo and behold, the booger decided to climb out of his crib and had fallen to the floor.  I made it in the room before the crying began and I checked him out and he didn't seem to be hurt, just freaked out.

The crib mattress had been on the second to lowest setting for awhile and it's really hard to lean all the way down in there to put him down for naps or bed and since the top of the crib still came up to his upper chest when he stood up, I assumed it was fine and we would just move it down to the lowest setting when we converted it into a toddler bed.  Well, I learned my lesson.  I should have known better since I have a climber.  I moved it to the lowest setting that afternoon before his nap.

Anyway, after that we had breakfast and everything and headed towards the plaza library to check out their storytime.  However, as I was going down Wornall and through the intersection at Gregory a girl turned left in front of me and I had no room to stop even though I slammed on my brakes.  Fortunately, neither Elijah nor I were hurt at all (again, furthering my theory that he's made of rubber).  We were both buckled like we were supposed to be and the seatbelt and carseat did their jobs.  He was scared, obviously, but thank God I had brought a pacifier with me (which I normally don't give him unless he's sleeping).  That calmed him down and kept him occupied while I dealt with the mess of a smushed up front bumper and all the lovely headache that goes with having a car accident.  It was obviously a pain and not how I wanted to spend our morning but since no one was hurt and it was her fault, it's really just an inconvenience right now because my car is getting repaired and we have a rental car that I'm not too fond of.  It's even more compact than our Cobalt.  But we'll only have it for a few weeks, I guess, and we don't have to pay for it.  Here's a couple pictures of my poor, smashed up bumper.

I am going to try again this Thursday to see if we can make it to the Plaza library for storytime.  I just hope it's worth it after getting my car all crunched.  We were very blessed that my friend Elizabeth from church came to help us, although I ended up just driving the car home so we could wait for a claims person to come out and give us an estimate.  But since Mike was out of town and I didn't really have anyone else to call, I was very grateful.

So that was our eventful week.  I'm exhausted just reading about it again.  We had a fun weekend with my parents, too, that involved working on the new nursery, but I will blog about that tomorrow or something since I need to get pictures to add and this blog is getting too long anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment