Monday, October 3, 2011

Making Strides

So as most of you know, my 14 month old is still not walking on his own.  I'm trying not to get hung up on it but since I keep talking about it, clearly I am hung up on it.  Fortunately, it's not as if he's not moving forward at all (pun intended) or making any strides (pun also intended--I like puns in case you didn't know).  Right now he will walk holding someone's hands (usually Mommy's) or holding onto his push toy thing...



...or a piece of furniture (usually one of our little ottomans that have wheels on them).



Mike and I both have tried to get him to hold just one of our hands and walk.  He can do it but he gets scared and cries and reaches for your other hand.  Lately, though, he has been using his push toy a lot.  He seems to like it and can turn it and maneuver it easily.

The other day he actually did take two unassisted steps towards me.  However, that was all and there hasn't been a reoccurrence. I'm not really sure why since he clearly can do it, especially since he can slide and move his push toy so easily.  It's just like he's scared to try and do it without any assistance.  It makes me wonder how much I should help him and how much I'm simply holding him back by not forcing him to face his fears a little.  I thought he was going to be much older before I had to consider this question.

No comments:

Post a Comment